Wednesday, November 17, 2010

To Stephen Harper - Budget Deficit

Posted March 4, 2010

Dear Prime Minister Harper:
I am really confused and need to ask a simple question. I thought I could add but I appear to have lost my touch. The deficit numbers just don’t add up.
In January 2009, you announced a $40 billion stimulus package (this includes the 20% allocation for the five year $20 billion personal income tax reduction). My understanding is that as much as $18 billion has been deferred to 2011. Recent reports state that only 20% of $22 billion have actually been allocated. That would mean that $4.4 billion dollars has actually been spent to date, yet we have a $53 billion budget deficit. Does this mean that by March 2011 we could conceivably have a budget deficit of $85 billion dollars? Please do the math and let me know if my addition and subtraction is correct. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Comic relief – The Hermaphrodite Society of Canada will no doubt applaud the proposed change in the Canadian national anthem – gender neutrality was definitely a pre-occupation for them and unemployed bums like me.
Thank you,
Joseph Pede

No comments:

Post a Comment